If you say "I'm going to go travel for a year", most people would probably say something along the lines of "wow!" ... except other travel bloggers, in which case they say "only a year?" Yep. Only a year.
The "why" is mostly curiosity, the "how" is: save up some money and then travel. When? In a year, for a year. Who: just me (although you're quite welcome to join me for any part you'd like). The "what" and "where", though, are the most interesting.
I've started a map of some places I maybe want to go. It makes a nice diagonal line across the globe, Southeast Asia to Eastern Europe. It's all very preliminary though, so I'm looking for recommendations. This kind of ties in with the "what" too, as "sightseeing for a year" wouldn't be productive, fun, or satisfying. A few plans I've been kicking around:
- spend a month in each of nine cities. In each one, set out a programming (Android?) project goal for myself.
- same thing, 2 months in each of four cities.
- plan a series of cool things I'd really like to do, or places to go; traveling alone will take a lot of this time.
- do some research along the way. This fits in well with grad school plans.
- really don't worry about it.